Monday, January 21, 2013

Mean Girls Movie Moment!

      Hallo Hallo! Another week has come and gone! It really is crazy how fast time is going. This week marks the time where I only have 6 more months before I come home. AH! Its so scary to think about. This past week I had to do some applications for school and it just made me realize just how different things are and how different my life has become. As I visited the U of U website it brought me back to the many times that I have viewed the very familiar page, but also how foreign it seemed at the same time. Then jumping over the BYU's website starting a new application REALLY made me realize how foreign things have become haha. Oh how life goes in ways you would have never guessed!
      Oh my heavens I also got news this week that made me scream out loud.....quite literally. I can honestly say that I have never ever once cared about the SuperBowl. The only thing that gets me excited are the many parties and assemblage of friends and family. However, my world stopped as news was delivered to me on Saturday morning. This news was in regards to the half-time performance. DESTINYS CHILD?!?!?!!!!!!!??? I just about died. My childhood having a reunion on the biggest platform in the world......and I wont be there to see it. TiVO.....bless you. This was a sacrifice that I just didnt see coming...... This week was amazing though! Very busy :). I had some first time experiences such as FuFu, a mouse, and a mean girls scene that came to life.
      Lets start with the first one. FuFu is an African dish. It is nearly impossible to explain so I will attach a picture! It is basically a huge pile of doughy potatoes that you pull smaller pieces off of, dip into a soup, and finally eat. And when I say eat, I mean swallow.....not chew. Haha this is something that is quite famous around the mission. It was quite the experience! I still say it was better than German food though! :) haha I wish I was kidding.
      Okay now onto my next first....a mouse. I will take you back to Wednesday night. Me and my companion were getting ready for bed. I was in brushing my teeth when my companion went out to get a drink of water. All of the sudden I hear a grunt of sorts come from the other room. I finished brushing my teeth and proceed to walk in the other room to check on my companion. There I witness her holding a bat ready to swing away staring intently at the ground. I of course asked her what the heck she was doing. her reply was, "Um.....you really might want to go back in the bathroom. I don't think you are going to handle this well......I saw a mouse." She was right. Very right. I didn't handle it well at all! I screamed and ran back into the bathroom and slammed the door. This is when I am very thankful to have a redneck as my companion :). Anywho....although my companions boldness is worth noting, the mouse was not found. The darn thing is still on the loose :(.
      Last, but not least.....my Mean Girls movie moment that came to life. With temperatures here being chillingly low, and no real form of snow removal in Germany....the ice is wretched. We were on our way to an appointment when my companion and I noticed an old woman struggling to walk. We asked her where she was going and if we could help her. She was extremely grateful and asked if we could assist her to the bus stop. Just as we were saying goodbye, she realized that she was on the wrong side and called out for us again. As I turned around.........a bus whisked by. It came so close to breaking my face that it honestly hit my hair!! MY companion just about died watching it. So moral of the story.....helping old people might get you killed.....haha jkjk....kinda :).
      A very cool thing that happen this week involved a less active member. Her name is Schwester Heggaman. We have really been trying to work on getting her to come to church since my first transfer here. She hasn't been to church in about 7 or 8 months. Well some amazing things have happened the past few weeks! She has come to church 3 times in a row AND even showed up to our Relief Society activity this past week! It has been so amazing to watch her happier than I have ever seen her. She struggles with depression and said that every time she comes to church, she notices her depression isnt as bad that week.....so amazing!
      Another miracle comes in the form of Lambros. Lambros is a name that I know, however it stops at about that. My first transfer here we would go by and knock on his door, but he never was home. I really never learned anything about him. Last Thursday we were loading onto a bus when a guy asks me, "Hey, you speak English, right?" (This is what I hope and dream for!!) I of course replied positively and in no time I found out his name was Lambros. Yes, THE Lambros :). He had actually been living in Hamburg for the last 7 months and only came back for a few days. We stayed on the bus extra long just to talk to him and ended up having an incredible 45min. lesson right there on the bus :). Although he was on his way back to Hamburg, he is returning to Rosotck in 2 weeks and we have an appointment scheduled. He is so amazing and I can't wait to get to know him better!
      William is also doing SO well! He is getting so excited for his baptism on February 9th. He wanted to make sure it was on the Saturday before I left haha. He even is having us teach his friend now! How awesome is that?! Not only that, but he invited some other investigators of ours to his house after church because he wants them to have friends so they will get baptized too :). Dream investigator!
      Spiritual Thought: This week I would like to leave a quote by Gordon B. Hinckley, "I come to you tonight with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we try to 'accentuate the positive.' I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort. Now I am not asking that all criticism be silenced. Growth comes of correction. Strength comes of repentance. Wise is the man or woman who can acknowledge mistakes pointed out by others and change his or her course. What I am suggesting is that you turn from the negativism that so permeates our modern society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom you associate, that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears. When I was a young man and was prone to speak critically, my wise father would say: 'Cynics do not contribute. Skeptics do not create. Doubters do not achieve."
      This week has been another amazing one! Things seriously seem to just go better and better every week here in Rostock. President interviews are this coming week as well as a completely booked schedule for us, so hopefully good stories will render! Thank you all for the love and support!
Sister Linford

Kirche Jesu Christi
Sister Jessica Linford
Friedrich Str. 14
18057 Rostock
Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment