Monday, March 19, 2012

First week at the MTC!

I'm alive!! This whole thing has been quite the whirlwind! It has been a roller coaster ride....a good one though! My first day was surreal. Walking away from the fam isnt the funnest but i got to see a familiar face right away and that was soooo great! Natalie Allen saw my name and fought of the German sisters to be host. She showed me the ropes and got me settled in my room. She left yesterday to Bolivia though which I was sad to see her go. After that I got to meet up with my companion, Sister Bohne, and the other 4 elders that are in my district. I absolutely LOVE my district and branch! It really is crazy how they are already on the family level. We all watch out for each other, they seriously are amazing. My district is unique too because 2 of the elders are 21 so 4 out of the 6 in my district are 21. Me and my companion get along pretty good. We are very different though. I feel like her mom a lot of the time. She is always running and jumping and sliding down railings. She literally has lived in the mountains the last 3 years and being inside nearly all day is killing her....which in return is killing me haha. But, she works hard and that is the most important thing got me. The language is....hard. Everyone in my district has had at least 4 years experience and my branch everyone has at least 2....this makes life difficult for me and S. Bohne have absolutely none. Its coming though. Slowly, but surely:). I am picking it up a lot faster than my companion though, she is getting frustrated.
Well lets take a walk though my time so far....
Day 1- told you a lot about it already but it was a crazy day! I think I felt every emotion possible! I didnt sleep that night at all either. Sir-snores-a-lot sleeps under me. No there is not really a 'sir' under my bed but she snores like one. Sister Katoa is a 250lb poly who shakes the bed, literally, with every snore. Ear plugs were a day 2 purchase
Day 2- After having a rough night, I woke not exactly excited to be there. My morning personal study couldnt have fixed it better. I read Mosiah either 7 or 8 I cant remember now :/. Anyways it talks about what ever we reap we sow. Now I have heard that many times but the way it states it, it is more in the way of what you focus on. So by me focusing on what I dont like about the MTC I am just setting myself up to hate it. In verse 33 it ends perfect. It talks about how we need to trust int he lord, and work hard, and fill our hearts. This was exactly what I needed because day 2 was definitely a hard day. A day has never felt so long. Language lesson was the most frustrating 6 hours of my life. My teacher was going at the pace of the elders who are all very good at German. Plus I had to get ANOTHER shot. Why? I have no idea....I thought 8 in November would be sufficient.
Day 3- This day got better. i got to have gym for the first time which was SO nice! Being cooped up all day long wears on you. I also had my first investigator this day. Yep, they waste not time here at the mtc. A man named Benny who speaks NO english was our Friday morning. Boy that served as a great humbling experience. Having to communicate thought a major language barrier is frustrating. You learn to resort to charades....a lot haha. It was good though to see what we needed to do and to see how crucial our time here to learn German is. I was able to bear my testimony in German too, that was pretty sweet:) After my appointment we had another German lesson. I learn so much every class! I love it! My companion had a bread down that night though. She is frustrated and misses her boyfriend. It's hard to see your comp go through that.
Day 4- we started the day out by doing our service for the week at 6am! We got assigned a very easy job and just went and dusted things for an hour and fifteen minutes. Oh and thank you sooo much for the package mom!! We got to work on the TALL program which is a computer program here. It helped me so much to be able to replay how to pronounce things!! I also got to play basketball with all the sisters from the German district. Had my second lesson with Benny which went much better than the first. I taught him about prayer. It was frustrating a little though because my comp just stares at me a lot and didnt help because she was so frustrated with her German abilities. It will come though. It was a great day though.
Day 5- Everyone says just make it to sunday and you will be fine....well I made it!! Everyday I have been here honestly just keeps getting better and better. Sundays in the mtc are so nice, you finally get to relax a little bit! It was crazy cool to hear church in German. A tad intimidating since I didnt understand 75% of it but very cool!
Day 6- P-Day!! Lovin me some Pday!! Went to the temple today and now just doing laundry and typing!
Okay time for answering some questions....The food here is not the best, but it isnt awful. I live off of fruit and salad. Sleep....yeah you dont really get any here. Language....its kicking my butt, but its coming! District, SO SO SO SO close to them. Those 4 elders are my brothers, seriously I lucked out big time! Branch, also love my branch. Everyone is so...normal haha. Which as you know was a big fear of mine. Well the German district just in front of us leaves tomorrow. We are all way sad. We have gotten VERY close to them in the last 6 days. Those 4 sisters have been the best example to us. They are going to do amazing plus they are hilarious so they will at least be loved by the other missionaries haha. 
Well that is all I have time for, but I love you all!! Letters are the best things ever, unless a package comes of course :).
Thanks for all the love and support.
Sister Linford

No comments:

Post a Comment