Monday, October 29, 2012

Angry Midget

      Can I get a woot woot for another stellar week!! Mensch, life is too good to me! Despite the snow that we experienced here this past week, things are looking bright in Rostock. Our numbers have been rivaling all the big cities and so many miracles are seen here everyday. Our FHE program honestly grows every week. It is so awesome to see new investigators there every time. It has really caught on fire and is assisting the increase in work here.
       On Tuesday I had the pleasure of being invited to a 7yr old's birfffffday parrrrtay. The preets that I talk about a lot, it his her little girl. In every city, you find a family that becomes your family for your time there. Here in Rostock it is definitely the Preets. They are incredible to me and I feel right at home with them everytime. It was fun to celebrate with their family and her two little friends!
      So I hope no one takes offense to this next part, I mean none by it. But, before I left my sister, Missy, challenged me to baptize a midget. So naturally, I have been searching my entire mission for a midget on the street. Well after very little success, Wednesday rolled around and changed my fate. I met Jasmina. I had to run after her a bit, but I was able to catch her! She was atheist, however I was able to make out an appointment. You have no idea how stoked on life I was. We made an appointment for Sunday, yesterday, at her residence so we could give her a Book of Mormon. We had to go to a place called Toitenwinkle, which is kinda in the middle of no where. After searching for quite some time for her house number, we finally ran across what looked like a school or a business. We decided to ring the doorbell anyways to see if we could get lucky. Sure enough a lady comes to the door and we asked her if she knew Jasmina. After 10 minutes of her checking she returned and said that it wouldnt be a good idea to bother her right now that they finally have her calmed down and distracted by TV. She then explained that this was a house for people that needed to be watched and that Jasmina escaped last week and that was the only reason we were even able to meet her. My midget dreams were shattered. I found a midget, but it was a really angry one so now I cant teach her ;(. This is not the end of my quest.
      We had a really neat experience this week. We put another person on baptismal date! Yeyeah! His name is William. He is about 30 and has been living in Germany for 12 years now. He is super awesome and will be baptized the same day as Degol on December 8th. I love me some english speaking investigators! Yesterday when we were at church with Degol he made a comment. He said, "how crazy is it that I was born in Africa and you two in America, and it took us all coming to Germany to meet and for me to hear about your church." It got me thinking how amazing my mission has been. I look at the people I have had the blessing of preparing for baptism......they are from all around the world. Latvia, China, Taiwan and soon to be Ghana, Ethopia, and Germany. It is incredible how paths cross!
      This week we were able to teach some incredible lessons. We are currently teaching a lot of students and we even just got an appointment with a family!! Oh my heavens this has only happened to me one other time on my mission! We couldnt be more excited! Sister Moon and I dont remember the last time we were able to take a lunch break or any break for that matter. We are so insanely busy, but we both love it that way! Sister Moon is a very hard worker and somehow we are getting things done despite a major language barrier. President may have made a slight hint that I will be transferred at the end of the transfer. Who really knows what is going to happen, but I would hate to go right now. Everything just seems to fit currently, and I would love to be able to be here for William and Degol's baptism. But, if I am needed in another city, I trust that it is best! We will find out in a few weeks though!
      Spiritual Thought: In this life we have to make many choices. Some are very important choices, and some are not. The choices we make, however, determine a large extent of our happiness or our unhappiness, because we have to live with the consequences of our choices. Its important to recognize the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority in our lives.
      Jesus taught the principle in the home of Martha. While she was "cumbered about much serving", her sister, Mary, "sat at Jesus' feet and heard his word".(Luke 10:39-40) When Martha complained that her sister had left her to serve alone, Jesus then commended Martha for what she was doing but taught her that "one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her". It was praiseworthy for Martha to be "careful and troubled about many things", but learning the gospel from the master teacher was more "needful".
Consider how we use our time in the choices we make in our every day life. How much time are we watching TV, on the computer, or reading books or magazines? These all can be very great outlets for upliftment in our lives, however, not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we five to it.
      President David O. McKay counseled: "The greatest battle of life is fought within the silent chambers of your own soul....It is a good thing to sit down and commune with yourself, to come to an understanding with yourself and decide in that silent moment what your duty is to your family, to your church, to your country, and to your fellowmen."
Joshua of old declared, "Choose you this day whom ye will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
      Let us not find ourselves as indecisive as Alice is in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. She came to a crossroads with two paths before her, each stretching onward but in opposite directions. She is confronted by the Cheshire cat whom Alice asks, "Which path shall I follow?" THe cat answers: "That depends where you want to go. If you dont know where you want to go, it doesnt matter which path you take."
      Unlike Alice, I hope you all know where you want to go. Each one of us is a son or daughter of god, endowed with faith, gifted with courage, and guided by prayer. Our eternal Destiny is before us. As we look into the future we are going to need to be stronger and more responsible for our choices in a world where people "call evil good, and good evil." Tomorrows blessings and opportunities depend on the choices we make today.
      I pray that we can all take the counsel of James E. Faust and take a moment and reflect on our current choices. I know that as we prioritize our lives to make the best choices, blessings will be poured out upon you. I hope every ones week is going well. I miss you all a ton! Thank you for the continual love and support. I feel so lucky to have such an awesome cheering section back home. Until next week, KEEP THE FAITH!
Sister Linford

Kirche Jesu Christi
Friedrich Str. 14
18057 Rostock
Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment