Monday, February 18, 2013

My life with the Swissters

      Hello!! Another week down, another new crazy experience! I survived my first week in Eisenhüttenstadt! With every new area, it seems that life completely changes. Life in Eisenhüttenstadt has been different but great! Well I will start with explaining the area I am now in. We basically have two small towns we are in charge of. We live in one of the two called Frankfurt Oder, but our church is in the other which is of course Eisenhüttenstadt. We are in both nearly every day, which is challenging with travel time. The cities are about 50 minuites away from each other by bus and 25 minutes by train. Both towns are TINY. Haha I realized that I have never in my life spent more than a week in a place that wasn't a city.......well that's about to change isn't it!!
      Our living situation is also a tad tricky. My bed as well as my desk is currently our couch! Our apartment is not made for 3 sisters and nobody seemed to care -ha. So that will be interesting to be living out of a suitcase for the next 4 weeks. This transfer is only 5 weeks and I have been told there is a small chance that I will actually stay in Eissenhüttenstadt. I am just here to help our the sisters that are here and currently struggling.
      Which brings me to the next item of bidness, my companions! There is weird food in the refrigerator again, which means I am back to having a native companion.....2 of them! ;) They are awesome though. Sister Müller and Sister Schneider both come from Switzerland. They are both older than me in both age wise and mission time wise. Both of their English is insanely good, so no real miscommunication here. It has definitely been an adjustment figuring out how to work effectively with an odd number, but we are trying our best.
      This past week here has been pretty crazy. We have had to go back and forth to Berlin a few times. Berlin is about 2 hours away, so it has definitely eaten a lot of time. However, they were for good reasons. We went there for our weekly District meeting, institute, and last but not least Golden finding!! Golden Finding is the first night that new missionaries arrive we take them out and hit the streets talking to people! I still remember how terrified I was my very first few hours of being in Germany and having to go out and try and talk to people! I remember that night so clearly. And I got the joy to be apart of this night with the new sisters that came in this past week! I was assigned Sister Clark for the evening. She is such a cutie that hails from Ohio! She graduated from BYU and is hilarious. She is going to be an amazing sister! We were able to make out more appointments than anyone else there that night.....boo yeah! I love Berlin too much.
      This week has also been filled with service projects and getting to know all the members and investigators here. There isn't a ton of work going on in this area right now, but the people they do have are awesome! I hope that we can really put our experience to use in this companionship and bring some fire to this program.
      Sunday was awesome. Its always a little unnerving coming into a new ward. Especially because my German isn't very good. However, the branch although it may be small, is sooo awesome! Holy Cow! The members are so dedicated! That was something that was the struggle in my last area, and to see the difference makes me so excited to be able to get to know this people.
      Spiritual Thought: On one occasion an inquiring lawyer came to the Savior and asked, “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?” The Savior responded, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” This made me ask myself....so how can we show our love to God? We demonstrate our love by how well we serve our God. There is a spirit in serving God. This is the spirit of putting Him first in our lives. Though we may not necessarily forfeit our lives in service to our God, we can certainly demonstrate our love for Him by how well we serve Him. When we serve our God, when we love Him, He knows it, and He will take us by the hand and give us answers to our prayers.
      Thanks for all the love and support! I miss you all like crazy! KEEP THE FAITH
Sister Linford

Kirche Jesu Christi
Sister Jessica Linford
Heilbornring 11
15234 Frankfurt Oder
Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment